It’s certainly preferable to be able to control all of your accessories through one platform or app. Unfortunately, we in Australia are still waiting for some of the accessories which are already available in the US to be adapted to suit Australian electricity plugs and voltages.
Elgato Eve offers lighting and temperature control products. The Thermo and Light Switch products are not available in Australia.
Air conditioners, blinds, gates and garage doors which are themselves wifi enabled to use with a generic app are also are not yet available here. A way around that would be to plug them in to a switch such as the Eve Energy. It will control any electrical device which is plugged into it.
A product such as this blind from Luxaflex has its own app and apparently Luxaflex in the US have promised HomeKit compatibility this year so that may mean it’s not too far behind for Australia .
SwannOne has a great range of cameras but they use their own app, not HomeKit. D-Link has just brought out a HomeKit compatible camera but there is only the one model at this stage.
We can recommend and supply Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt which is HomeKit compatible which can be locked and unlocked using either the app, a key or a code.
While the number of HomeKit compatible products is growing all the time, it is still not really possible to get everything on one app. If you can’t wait to start automating your home, maybe you could think about planning ahead to be easily able to change over when new products become available.
We are able to assist you with consultancy services to advise on and set up iOS-controlled automation accessories. We are able to supply Elgato Eve, SwannOne, Schlage and D-Link products. Please find attached a list of the Elgato and SwannOne products. These products and services may be able to be purchased using NDIS funding, depending on what is included in your plan.
Information from the NDIS on AT
This information at this link from the NDIS explains the levels of classification of assistive technology. Whether funding is given for a particular higher cost item will depend on the participant’s goals and the assessor’s decision.
In many cases, participants are given an amount of up to $1021 (correct as of January 2018) to purchase items that are considered low risk. It is up to the participant’s discretion how they spend that money, of course always bearing in mind that that items purchased with NDIS funding must:
- comply with the general criteria for supports outlined in rule 5.1 of the Supports for Participants Rules;
- not fall within a category of supports that will not be funded or provided under rule 5.3 of the Supports for Participants Rules;
- assist the participant to pursue the goals, objectives and aspirations included in the participant’s statement of goals and aspirations;
- assist the participant to undertake activities, so as to facilitate the participant’s social or economic participation;
- represent value for money in that the costs of the support are reasonable, relative to both the benefits achieved and the cost of alternative support;
- effective and beneficial for the participant, having regard to current good practice;
- takes account of what it is reasonable to expect families, carers, informal networks and the community to provide; and
- be most appropriately funded or provided through the NDIS, and not more appropriately funded or provided through other service systems.
As outlined in the AT Complexity Classification document, the NDIA recognises some AT as low cost, low risk (Category 1) and participants who have AT identified in their plan will generally have funding in that plan for them to directly purchase a modest amount of this AT that is integral to meeting their plan goals.
The Daily Adaptive Equipment (03_131_0103_1_1) line item under a participant’s CORE budget (Consumables support category) would be where they would claim these expenses. (NDIS document)
What we can offer
That said, here are items which we as an NDIS Registered Provider can supply under the NDIS if funding has been approved and the above criteria are met:
- protective cases for tablets and phones
- AppleCare+ extended warranty for iPad
- iTunes vouchers
- Schlage smart locks
- Smart plugs
- Motion sensors
- Security cameras
Contact us by emailing email@example.com with further questions or if you would like to arrange a service booking.