I was recently asked for the names of some apps to support literacy and letter awareness. Of course there are many ways to help children develop these skills and the iPad is just one method but it is an engaging tool in the toolbox for literacy learning. Prices are in Australian dollars and are correct as of September 2016.
My criteria in choosing the list below were:
- evidence based theory behind the methods
- engaging but not over-stimulating
Apps for early phonics
- Hairy Letters (Nessy Learning Ltd) – $5.99 (Anything by Nessy is great!)
- Phonics Under the Big Top (Celeste Musgrave ) – $2.99
Apps for learning sight words
- Phonics Read CVC (Joe Scrivens) – $2.99 or in a bundle with other apps for $5.99
- Hairy Words (Nessy Learning Ltd) – $5.99
There are two bundles of phonics and sight word apps which are excellent.
- Tools for Teaching Reading (Reading Doctor) – $129.99 for the bundle of 6, $24.99 each
- OzPhonics (DSP Learning Pty Ltd) – $7.99 for the bundle, $1.99 or $2.99 each.
Apps for tracing letters
- School Writing (demografix pty ltd) – $7.99 (Uses Australian states’ handwriting fonts)
- iWriteWords (gdiplus) – lite or $4.49
- Little Writer Pro (Innovative) – $2.99
- Ready to Print (Essare LLC) – $14.99
Most of these have an Australian or English voice which is probably less confusing for Australian children than an American voice
© Jacqui Kirkman, 2016
MEd, Grad Dip Teaching (Primary), BA
Specialist Literacy Teacher
Apple Professional Learning Specialist
Photo credit: By Intel Free Press [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons